ON-BPD News | 2016, Issue 8
Following are some news stories from us, as well as some bulletins we've received that may be of interest to you. If you have news that would be of interest to us or our members, please send it to email@example.com.
News from our partners:
- Free Webinar: Adding Fuel to the Fire: Borderline Personality Disorder and Substance Use Problems
- Free Journal: BPD and Emotion Dysregulation
- Men, Masculinity and Mental Health
- Invitation to Participate in Research
Call for Volunteers
ON-BPD could use your help! If you are interested in helping us support our community, please let us know.
- Membership Chair (to review the process of renewing/growing membership and fundraising)
- Program Chair (to help develop and present new programs)
- Family Advisory Committee Liaison (to attend meetings of the Family Advisory Committee and report back to the ON-BPD Board)
- Social Media (to help share the news and resources that help our community)
If you are interested in helping support this growing organization, please contact our president, Michèle, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ON-BPD is now accepting applications to participate in our winter session of Family Connections. Family Connections is a 12-week program designed to provide the adult family members and spouses of individuals with emotion dysregulation or borderline personality disorder with knowledge and skills for their own well-being and for better understanding their loved one.
The winter session will begin in January and will be held in Kanata. Attendance at all twelve sessions is required.
Our next session of Continuing Connections, our follow-up program for graduates of Family Connections, will be as follows:
Saturday, December 3, 2016
1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
If you've received your invitation and tried to register but received a message that the session was full, please try again, as we have released more seats.
Participation is by invitation only. If you have completed a Family Connections course, but have not received any of the previous e-mails about Continuing Connections, please contact us at email@example.com.
The Borderline Personality Disorder Patient and Family Education Initiative at McLean Hospital offer live webinars. To register and to view recordings of previous webinars, please visit the Mclean Hospital website: mcleanhospital.org/bpdinitiative
- Wednesday, December 7th, 5-6pm EST with Rocco Iannucci, MD, “Adding Fuel to the Fire: Borderline Personality Disorder and Substance Use Problems”
Free Journal with Information About BPD
Borderline Personality Disorder and Emotion Dysregulation is the official journal of the National Education Alliance for Borderline Personality Disorder (NEA.BPD)
and the Dachverband Dialektisch Behaviorale Therapie (DDBT).Articles in the current issue include:
- Specificity of mental pain in borderline personality disorder
- A systematic review on the relationship between antisocial, borderline and narcissistic personality disorder diagnostic traits and risk of violence to others in a clinical and forensic sample
- Experiences of women in secure care who have been prescribed clozapine for borderline personality disorder
- A new intervention for people with borderline personality disorder who are also parents: a pilot study of clinician acceptability
- The impact of posttraumatic stress disorder on the symptomatology of borderline personality disorder
Men, Masculinity, and Mental Health
Despite a rapidly evolving society, little has changed regarding gender and cultural stereotypes. Explore the myths, facts and issues contributing to the shockingly high rate of suicide in middle-aged men and why simply being male is a risk factor for poor mental and physical health. The Royal is pleased to announce its next session of Conversations at The Royal 2016 series on Thursday November 17 at 7pm for “Men’s Mental Health: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Part II” with Dr. Bhatla of The Royal and an expert panel in a conversation about men's mental health.
When: Thursday November 17 2016, 7 pm
Where: Auditorium, The Royal, 1145 Carling Avenue
Dr. Raj Bhatla, Psychiatrist in Chief and Chief of Staff, The Royal
Dr. Don McCreary, Chair, Global Men’s Health Advisory Committee, The Movember Foundation
Jean-François Claude, 2016 Inspiration Award Winner and Founder of Men’s D.E.N.
Marcia Mills, 2009 Inspiration Award Winner
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED - CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
For more information, please contact Sue Walton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research into Caregiving of People with Personality Disorders
Paige Lamborn is doing research into the experience of people who care for others with personality disorders, and would like your input. Read more about it here: PDF about the survey.
Contact Paige Lamborn if you are interested in taking this survey.